Beavertown was originally called Swifttown. Swifttown was named after John Swift who settle there having received a grant for the land in 1760. He sold the land to Jacob Lechner. He named the town after Swift. Captain Fredick Evans surveyed the land into lots in 1810. When the first post office was opened in 1830, Swifttown was renamed Beavertown after the local mammals.